Sunday, May 31, 2009

Just landed

I am feeling like very much being at home in Houston. The weather is almost the same as it is in Lahore, my hometown, at this time of the year. People are quite friendly and open. Here you find people from everywhere. The city hosts people coming from no less than 60 countries from across the globe. This adds a lot to the cultural diversity of the city.


For a visitor to a new place, it's always a blessing to have someone there to take care of him. In this case, I am lucky enough to have a very caring mentor at my host organisation-Houston Chronicle. His name is George Haj and he was the first person I met in Houston-within moments of my arrival. This first meeting was in the baggage claim area of IAH airport.


So far, I have not been able to properly navigate the city. Public transport is almost extinct and one has to to have a car to commute between the closest of the places.


My apartment is fine, and quite spacious to house a person like me. The distance from office is not much. I once tried to walk all the way to office but dropped the idea half way. It was hot and humid, and I was perspiring from top to toe.


Bomar Street: A quiet neighborhood

I took my driving lessons on Saturday, May 23. My main concern was about driving on the right hand side of the road with the streeing wheel on the left. This was totally opposite to the practice in my country. There we have right hand drive cars that ply on the left hand side of the roads.


It has been 7 days since I took these lessons. Before I forget whatever I learned during these lesons, I am going to pick up my car from the car rental outlet. May be tomorrow. Once I am in the driving seat, I will start scaling the length and breadth of the city to explore whatever I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment